While waiting for my MBA diploma from Edinburgh Business School, I was considering taking an extra course of Leadership from the School. Not being sure whether I need it, I found the offer from City Business School to try this same course free. The idea of saving some$2,5K and testing the difference between real life and online business education attracted me enough to try it.
Therefore, I enrolled in the program. Now after two weeks and successful completion of the course I can compare.
Well, I almost cannot. We are talking about two different products here. The only thing in common is definition. Both considered business education. But let us compare.
- The scope of the course. 600-700 pages textbooks at EBS and 100 pages presentations at CBS. Western scientific approach and Russian interpretation of the latter. Not to mention the fact, that I studied on Russian at CBS, a very different experience. “Целеполагание” is the very new word I learned.
- The time it took. The usual course at EBS is four months, and here it is one month (I managed to complete in 2.5 weeks).
- Final exams. Full-blown 3 hours exam at British Council with the limited number (3) of possible re-applications in 6 months each at EBS vs. quick 70 questions MCQ test with the right to re-apply in 12 hours. Unlimited times.
- Communications with real people and real tutors at EBS. However, cannot complain here, it is the “by definition” difference.
So was CBS waste? Nope, it has some pluses.
- The modules and presentations are very well structured and clear. No water just needed information.
- You can improve your level of knowledge very fast. Matter of weeks.
- You are getting a very nice looking diploma. ))
- It is much cheaper.
Well so, I would say both approaches have the right to live. I would call EBS “an education” and CBS “useful courses” though.